Sunday, June 8, 2008

CafPops: Surprisingly Undelicious in Practice

It's hot, and pretty much all I feel like eating these days are Popsicles, to the extent that I am seriously considering eating my wontons and frozen red beans and rice in their current frozen form. Yesterday I went to Target and got some Popsicle molds and some nice-looking pomegranate-blueberry juice, and then went home and set about making CafPops, as described in the film Coffee and Cigarettes. They're just milky coffee in Popsicle form, and although I had two of them today (one more and I can make some Popsicles with juice!) they are strikingly non-delicious, which I guess shouldn't have surprised me.

Last night we went bowling with a few of my colleagues, which was fun although I am a terrible bowler and did embarrassingly badly. Afterwards I made some of these pancakes, which are so good, and watched Twin Peaks. I have been making pancakes from scratch quite often and I think I may actually buy some proper buttermilk instead of just souring milk with vinegar as I've been doing.

Tomorrow begins my last week of German and I'm awfully glad; I started working on my Fulbright application today and it's clear that I need to be doing more, even though I'm hot and tired and don't feel like doing anything at all.

2 comments:

TCA said...

Fulbright Scholarship. Yes!

Popsicles. Yes! Iced coffee is best as iced coffee. Throw in a little vanilla ice cream and now you're talking.

I note that Wittgenstein gets quoted in Commonweal again this week. I may learn some stuff (beyond that silly, adoring book about the poker), yet!

Emily said...

I thought Wittgenstein's poker was really good. You might try Beyond Wittgenstein's Poker if you really want something more substantial.