Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The need to sneeze

Systems can be constructed. But what is once standing must remain, or else the whole system must be dismantled in order that a new one may be constructed. Science only comes to fruition in a system. We shall never be able to do without systems. Only through a system can we achieve complete clarity and order. No science is in such command of its subject matter as mathematics and can work it up into such a perspicuous form; but perhaps also no science can be so enveloped in obscurity as mathematics, if it fails to construct a system.
-Gottlob Frege, "Logic in Mathematics"

The man loves his systems. You know, I respect that.

Finally met with Joan yesterday about transferring, a meeting I'd been dreading for months and months. Unlike the Badger, who seemed dismayed to think I might leave and who wanted to think of ways to keep me, Joan seemed highly unsurprised and indifferent. Her reaction was basically, "You really aren't doing amazingly well here, so maybe you should go." This of course I already knew, and if I were doing amazingly well here I'd be much less inclined to leave. The bad thing is that my lack of amazingness means that Joan can't write me much of a recommendation. The pressure is on for me to do something spectacular in this Frege class. As if that hadn't already been my main priority. Joan was not terribly positive about my chances of getting in anywhere but CUNY. She says maybe it won't be so bad, and maybe even if it is it will be worth it in the long run.

I am sick. I've missed several running days and I feel a constant desperate desire to sneeze. Last night for dinner I had ready-made soup from a box, frozen garlic bread, and Jello Cook and Serve vanilla pudding. I just had the exact same thing for lunch today. Now I am so full of preservatives I will never biodegrade.

3 comments:

Bill said...

I'm glad you have the Badger in your corner. When the time comes, give him her name.

TCA said...

Logic,logic, logic. Perhaps you could go to Accounting School or Law School, begin a political career and reform the whole system according to logical principles. That would be a real first!

What is the logic in throwing money at enormous financial entities that could not even keep track of what they were peddling so they can go on doing it until there is simply no more money to throw at them?

We have no money coming into the Federal government that has not already long since been spent on things like the war in Iraq or has already been committed to things like Social Security and Medicare. So the latest plan to "bail out" these financial entities so they can go on making pretend money which they somehow get to spend on enormous salaries for themselves just is not logical.

Your future needs you!!!

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.