Monday, September 17, 2007

In

You're not supposed to choose a grad school based on your hope of working with one specific professor, they told me. He or she* might move on to greener pastures (ahem, JC I am looking at you), or it might turn out that you don't work very well with this person after all. I pretty much ignored this advice, and I came out here with the notion that I would be working with the Badger, our resident logician. (I am calling him that because he is badgerlike and probably Google searches his own name from time to time, because don't we all, and he doesn't need to read what I say about him.)

The Badger is extremely terrifying, a quality I appreciate in a professor. He has very courtly manners but always seems to be shouting. He calls me "ma'am." His photograph on the faculty faceboard in the lounge shows him from behind, looking out the window, and probably brooding. I feel a subdued wish to have him tell me how to run my life, and for this reason it is probably for the best that the Badger is not my adviser ... yet.

Therefore I am pleased when the Badger appears to take an interest in me - when he says things like, 'as one logician to another' or offers to let me read the drafts of a paper he's working on, or invites me to participate in a Philosophy of Mathematics discussion group. Because of this last, I am reading Kant's Critique of Pure Reason. It is every bit as long and confusing as the Philosophical Investigations, but without the classic thought exercises and compelling metaphors. Not to mention, who is more dreamy:







or




I thought so.

*On the subject of "he or she," I read an interesting article yesterday in Bitch about gender-neutral pronouns, as an alternative to the clunky "he or she", the "ungrammatical" singular "they", or the sexist "his." Although I am, on the whole, supportive of attempts to make our language as inclusive as possible (for instance, I supported Smith College's decision to change "she" to "the student" in our school constitution), I cannot get behind these gender neutral pronouns. No one uses words like "zie," "per," or "hirself," and speaking as a linguist, rather than a feminist, they should not be made to. New words are introduced into English all the time, but as a rule they are not these sorts of words. Pronouns are structural, and while new pronouns can evolve naturally (the article points out that "they," "them," and "their" were originally from Scandinavian) they cannot be introduced artificially.

That said, if I should meet somebody who really wants to be addressed using gender-neutral pronouns, I'd probably give it the old college try, because I am nice like that.

THINGS I LOVE:
  1. The way my subconscious mind is busy cranking out answers to things even when I am not paying attention: I tried to take a nap this afternoon but was shaken from a doze when I figured out how to do one of the proofs on my set theory homework.
  2. The skin that forms on top of milk when you heat it
  3. Baked lentils with cheese
  4. Watching due South
  5. Reading Laurie Colwin with a cup of cocoa -- I mean, reading Kant. Yes.

5 comments:

Greg said...

I took a job once based on my assessment of the hiring manager, that he would be an effective mentor to my career, essentially that he would be demanding, but would still teach me a lot, and that would bring about the transition to actually having a career. He quit 3 months into my employment. Looks like you learned my lesson a lot earlier than I did. I hate smart kids. Regardless of gender, too.

(No, I don't; you know what I mean.)

Bill said...

Whenever I heat milk I think about the scene in "A Wrinkle in Time" where Charles Wallace cautions Meg about letting the milk boil.

Caroline said...

I think about you freaking out about "the milk spoon" and the tiny puddle of milk it left on the counter.

TCA said...

I think about who the two gentlemen are in the picture on your blog...omagod! am I turning into CLA at this late stage???

Lily said...

da freaks out about everything, but I don't recall the "milk spoon" incident. I do, however, think of that scene in "A Wrinkle in Time" too. Rest in peace, Madeline L'Engle.
Laurie Colwin is indeed excellent with any beverage, but my personal favorite hot chocolate book is "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn."