Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Facial tattoos are a bad idea.

Since sometime in September it has been a more or less weekly tradition that Cufflinks and I go to the Runcible Spoon on Thursdays to listen to this old-time band that plays there. Cufflinks rolls his nasty-smelling cigarettes and talks to his friends and I watch the musicians and the Runcible scene, which is very Bloomington and interesting. Lot of facial tattoos, which always makes me wonder what could possibly possess someone to do such a thing, but I guess it takes all kinds.

Last week Cufflinks was talking to one of his bearded friends and I was drifting in and out of listening - Cufflinks doesn't really try to draw me into these conversations, which is the thing I like least about him - and the bearded guy was talking about some director he doesn't like because he's wantonly cruel to his characters - he just tortures them for no reason. It made me wonder: can we have ethical responsibilities to nonexistent objects? It seems like the answer is probably no (the conventional wisdom in philosophy is that there are no nonexistent objects, which don't even get me started). Still, it would be an interesting way to explain why we would look askance at someone who wrote a story in which he just did awful things to his characters for no reason. Kind of a nifty aesthetics/metaphysics/ethics problem, I thought.

I'm sick, for about the third or fourth time this year, which is insane. Maybe I should start buying orange juice or God forbid exercising or something. (2008 is going to be the year I visit the IU gym, I swear it!) It's such a drag because Andrea, my dear college chum, is coming out for a visit this weekend, and she's sick too, so it looks like we might not be up for any extremely riotous good times. Of course, it's not at all clear to me that there are any to be had; I can't find any exciting doings this weekend and I don't know how I'm going to entertain her. It's kind of worrying me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You could always go out and get tattoos; being sick might dull the pain.

I've often thought that once you get inked above the collar-line, you've pretty much decided to limit your career choices to being a rock star (punk or metal), a bartender at a biker roadhouse, selling retro fashion at a used clothing store, drug addict on welfare, or petty crim.

TCA said...

NO tatoos! Period!

Except...I do have one friend who had eyeliner tatooed on her upper and lower lids. It saved time for the rest of her makeup and lasted a good six months. Still, it's not a chance I'd take.

syz said...

If you haven't already, check out hanzismatter.com here for some remarks on facial tattooing as a punishment for crime.

Enjoyed the blog!