Thursday, January 10, 2008

Glee!

I'm in a pretty good mood. I had productive morning reading Davidson and Sartre, followed by two classes: Computational linguistics and Philosophy of Language, both of which fill me with glee. After class I had a long nap and a decent dinner (polenta marinara, which is delightfully easy to make), and then I read more Sartre.

He certainly looks jolly and wall-eyed, doesn't he?

So that's all good-mood-making. Plus, who could be glum in a world where Adam Busch's nose exists? (see below - he's all filled with evil merriment)

But, lest we forget that life is a veil of tears, here is Husserl to glare us into submission:

Husserl is all, "one is inclined to interpret, as if this were obvious, immanence as genuine immanence (reelle Immanenz) and even perhaps to interpret it psychologically, as immanence in something real (reale Immanenz): the object of cognition, too, is within the cognitive process as a real actuality, or in the [stream of] ego-consciousness of which the mental process is a part."

Ugh, Husserl, buddy, why? Prof Spade says Husserl is the worst writer of all time. One lecture into "The Idea of Phenomenology," I am inclined to agree.

However, tomorrow I have my Tractatus study group, which should make it all okay. Let's get back to glee with smiley Wittgenstein on a patio or something:


There. That's better.

1 comment:

TCA said...

Could Wittgenstein be on a boat?

Could Husserl use some of Occam's Razor?