Monday, January 14, 2008

Shouldn't Emily be told to keep her window shades all pulled completely down?

On Friday, a group of philosophers (principally ethicists, including one Nietzsche scholar, but there were two logicians and a Kierkegaardian in attendance, as well) went out to a honky-tonk bar outside of town for some karaoke. The place was packed, and a very Indiana sort of scene. (When he suggested the outing, Andrew informed us that "the cutters" would be there.) I didn't know many of the songs, but there were some impressive performances, including an old man who did the macarena - funny for about five seconds, but then shame-inducing, what with all the gratuitous pelvic thrusting. The highlight, however, was Luke, who did a version of "Harper Valley PTA" which will stay with me until my dying day. Luke is so my hero - he even included shoutouts to our party - mine was particularly apropos (see subject line). So that was all most diverting and satisfactory.

Also this weekend I read Quine, watched a lot of Degrassi, and made a very successful rice pudding (the recipe is here; I reduced the sugar by half with no ill-effects). Pretty good, but my quest for the perfect rice pudding continues. It's a journey.

1 comment:

Lily said...

I'm not gonna lie, "Harper Valley P.T.A." is totally making my life right now.