Thursday, January 24, 2008

My toes are numb


It is ten degrees out and I had to go to the laundromat, because I haven't done laundry in, oh, three weeks or so and it is becoming a problem. I had so much laundry and the laundromat is so far away I could only manage to carry my darks, so after classes today I will have to go back and do my whites, which is a total drag. Carrying all my clothes seven blocks to the laundromat in ten-degree weather is making me REALLY wish I had a car. Maybe a 1971 Buick Riviera.

Yesterday I made a loaf of Laurie Colwin's long-rise whole wheat bread. It rose all day while I was in class and then after a short second rise it was ready to bake. It came out of the oven just in time for dinner, and K and I had a cozy, if somewhat austere, meal of bean soup and warm, crusty bread. This bread makes me happy because it uses three kinds of flour (the more flours a bread involves, the happier I am), one of which is a stone-ground wheat from a local mill, which I got at the farmers' market this fall. I am looking forward to the farmers' market starting up again ... I am getting ready for spring.

I think this week I will buy some sort of meat, maybe a chicken.

2 comments:

TCA said...

Please, please, please DO buy some meat. A little protein is really GOOD for you...especially when you have to walk a lot in 10 degreee cold weather.

A nice roast chicken can feed you for 2-3 days and then make a great stock for soup!

Greg said...

Plenty of protein in vegetables of all descriptions: beans, grains, fruit, nuts. Plus, they contribute less to environmental degradation.