Thursday, September 18, 2008

Magic Beans

Living with others is, unsurprisingly, quite difficult at times. Most of my vexations living with K come from the fact that I am a total control freak - I would really rather do absolutely everything myself than run the risk that things will not be done My Way. Last year, this meant that I did all the cooking, since I didn't want to eat nondelicious things, and all of the grocery shopping, since I was doing all the cooking. I also washed most of the dishes, because if things were left in the sink I'd have to wash them before I could use the sink.

This year I decided we should try to figure out some more equitable arrangement, but already I am regretting it. K did the grocery shopping one week and came back with brownie mix, Value butter (one step below store brand, it comes in a one pound block instead of nice measured 1/4 pound sticks), and some shriveled yellow apples. "These were really cheap," she said. "They're not very good, but I like 'em okay, so I'll eat them if you don't want to." Gee. Thanks.

I recognize that we're grad students and therefore need to pinch the occasional penny. But how is one to use butter that doesn't come in demarcated sticks? What is the point of spending any money at all on bad apples?

The only thing I have seen K cook for herself all semester has been frozen corn. I think she puts cumin on it. Need I say more?

No comments: