Sunday, September 21, 2008

Weekend

The beginning of the fall semester is a pretty great time. Everyone's around, but no one's too busy yet, so there's a lot of time to just sort of enjoy things. On Friday afternoon I met a bunch of colleagues for beers at Bear's, which turned into pizza, after which I rode my bike over to Cufflinks' for a poker game. We had a decent table - seven people - and the game took hours and hours. I kept going all in, hoping I'd get out so I could go to sleep, but each time I tried it I ended up winning the hand. Even though I didn't get any really good cards all night - I think I had a straight at one point but that's it - I actually won! It was my second time winning at poker, which makes me really happy.

On Saturday Cufflinks and I went to the Farmers' Market, which is beginning to herald the fall with pumpkins, apples, and red peppers. I bought five pounds of Jonathan apples and when I got home I made apple butter from the Fannie Farmer cookbook. There's not much that's nicer than apple butter, and now I have seven jars all ready to be eaten on oatmeal pancakes and given away as gifts. I only have two jars left and I'm so tempted to buy more - there are all kinds of other exciting things I'd like to try making, like tomato marmalade and pumpkin butter - but at some point I guess enough is enough. It's such a fun activity though!

Last night Cufflinks and his roommates and I all had pizza and watched the Muppet Movie, which I actually haven't seen in years. Thom's girlfriend is visiting and she'd never seen it, which is astonishing. She didn't even recognize any of the characters. Being in the presence of someone who has never experienced the Muppets is a strange experience.

Today I have to run 8 miles, and then tonight Thom and his girlfriend are making dinner for everyone, which should be fun. I have a bunch of reading to do today but I don't feel too pressed. Plenty of time for a leisurely breakfast and coffee. I love this time of year.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Sounds like a great weekend indeed! there is something about apples and pumpkins that is so inspiring--I know exactly what you mean!

TCA said...

I'm not a lover of autumn. It always seems sad to me. Guess I just need warm too much. Maybe not having access to really great Upstate NY apples is part of it. I've never had better, anywhere. And pumpkins don't grow here at all. Lots of them get sold here but the farmer's market guy told me they get them from Ohio.

TCA said...

One further thought...while learning to drink and gamble, have you also learned to swear. Ah, higher education!