Monday, December 3, 2007

Cupcakes!

Saturday was my flatmate K's birthday and, finals notwithstanding, I managed to convince her that we should invite people over for delicious cupcakes. We invited all the firstyears but only two were able to make it. Nevertheless, the four of us had a nice time, drinking red wine and tea, eating our cupcakes, and talking shop.

We couldn't find any matches, so Scott struck upon the brilliant idea of lighting the candles by first setting a paper towel on fire using the electric burner. No one was hurt and the apartment did not burn down, but jeez, what kind of apartment has no matches! It's like being stranded on a desert island! Except then I suppose we wouldn't have a stove. (And I know I'm going to get snarky comments about dumb PhD students starting fires but could we just not?)

(Also as a delightful party game we had Scott go outside and stand outside my window, to confirm that I hadn't imagined the Peeping Tom the other day. I had wondered whether, with the blinds down and the light on in my room but no light outside, I could possibly have seen a face. No doubt on that score: a face outside my window looks like a face outside my window and nothing else. This at least reassures me that I was right to call the police - I don't want to be all wolf-crying.)

1 comment:

Greg said...

You could throw flaming paper towels at him next time.