Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Memphis Minnie Steered Us Wrong

When I came out to the Hoosier State over the summer to find an apartment, our realtor, Memphis Minnie, told me that we could do laundry in a nearby apartment. I vaguely remember her waving her arm in the direction of the apartment building across the street, which looks like a church. Possibly I was too distracted by her yellow patent leather pumps to really absorb what she was telling me. Anyway, we moved out here, and for the last few months I've been alternating between the laundry room in the basement of the church apartment (which is dark and creepy, plus it always feels illicit to me and you never know when the door is going to be locked; once I put my laundry in the dryer and then went home for a bit because of the aforementioned dark creepiness and when I got back the door was locked and my laundry was trapped) and the public laundromat, which is seven blocks away but at least has a change machine. (The one in the church basement has no change machine so K and I just have to stock up on quarters, which is a pain.)

Today K informed me that there is another apartment complex a block away, behind the church apartment, which is owned by the same management company as ours. This, it turns out, was where Memphis Minnie told me we could do our laundry. We have been doing our laundry in the building across the street when we had no right to be in there at all. Memphis Minnie, you have steered us wrong. Next thing you know, it'll turn out there's a grocery store within ten blocks! You never stop discovering things in this town.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Sounds like a story line for a Country-Western song. Now if only you could find a dog...BTW-any sign of the alleged cute law student in the other comnplex?