Saturday, December 1, 2007

The Disadvantage of Living on the Ground Floor

Last night as I was getting ready for bed, I turned to the window and saw a face right outside. Horrified, I clutched my pajama top to my chest and ran into the bathroom. I called to my roommate through the door: "KRISTA KRISTA there's someone outside my window!"

I struggled into my pajama top and peeked outside. Krista was looking at my bedroom door with trepidation. "What should we do?" she asked, levelheaded as always.

"We should call the police," I faltered. "Could you -"
"Could I do it?" I had only meant to ask if she would get my phone out of my room, because I was afraid to go back in, but she made the call. She gave the necessary information to the operator and then I washed dishes with shaking hands and she dried as we waited for the police to arrive.

The cop was not long in coming. He had a blond crew cut and an Indiana accent. He promised to keep us on special patrol for a few weeks. That's reassuring, but I keep seeing that ominous face outside my window. It looked like Elijah Wood in Sin City. It also looked a little bit like the mathematician.

I mentioned this to the cop, but stressed that I wasn't at all sure and I certainly did not want him to go to the mathematician's house and rough him up. I can't be sure that I saw anything; my blinds were down, though not completely closed, and it was dark outside and light in my room, so what I saw could have been a reflection. Not to mention, the mathematician has no way of knowing where I live: my address isn't listed on my Facebook profile (and we're not Facebook friends anyway). I didn't go home until five hours after he and I parted ways yesterday, and didn't go to bed for hours and hours after that - it would have been some majorly hardcore stalking. There is no reason at all to believe it was him, or anybody, but now that the thought is in my head I can't seem to dismiss it.

I need curtains.

4 comments:

TCA said...

Yes, a ground floor apartment requires opaque blinds at night. It is only human to look into lighted windows from outside.

However... you do not say how close the face in the window was and if it was close, you may have a problem, Houston.

I really DO hope it wasn't the mathemetician, though.

Greg said...

Blackout curtains.

Yeah, there are lots of problems with life on the ground floor. My Queens apt. was easy to get into unobserved, which thankfully only happened once (well, twice, but the first time was because I hadn't changed the locks, so that's a different story), but keep the latches on, too.

Oh, and then there was the voodoo cat, but, again, different story.

Andrea said...

I am sure that it was a very scary experience but doubt that the mathematician was responsible. I would say curtains to supplement the blinds are in order.

Lily said...

"My sister would hang curtains on the coal range if she could. She'd drape them on the hen house. She'd put them on the goats. She's addicted to the use of curtains." -Elizabeth Enright, from "Gone-Away Lake; Mr. Pindar Payton on his sister, Minnehaha Augusta Cheever.
perhaps a little far-fetched, but whatever.