Saturday, February 16, 2008

Blue Moon Curry




The other day I was in the library and they were having a book sale, and after flipping through a thousand crummy old records I saw that they had old magazines for a quarter each, and I bought a few for collages. And among them were a couple of old Vegetarian Times from 1994, and in one of these I found this recipe, which I modified for convenience and cost.

Blue Moon Curry
Rice:
4 cups water
1 Tbs. curry powder
1 tsp. minced ginger
2 cups jasmine rice

Sauce:
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
3 cups fresh baby spinach
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger
2 dried Thai chili peppers, split
1 cup coconut milk (I like the reduced fat kind)
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup whole basil leaves (if you have any) or a tablespoon of chopped basil from a jar
1 cup chopped canned pineapple (or fresh if you've recently come into an inheritance)

In a medium saucepan, add water, curry powder, and ginger and bring to a boil. Add rice and simmer until water is absorbed (about 20 minutes).

Meanwhile, steam the sweet potatoes until just tender. Quickly steam spinach in a separate pot. Plunge spinach into cold water and drain. Roll spinach into balls, squeeze dry, and set aside.

In a nonstick pan over medium heat, saute red pepper, garlic, ginger, and chiles about 5 minutes. Add coconut milk and water. Cook, uncovered, about 10 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and cook until tender. At the last minute, add spinach, basil and pineapple; heat through. Serve over rice with chopped peanuts, coconut flakes, sliced bananas, and lemon juice (optional, but sounds good.)

1 comment:

Lily said...

Emily, I gave up Facebook for Lent. If you have something to tell me, email me or something, don't write on my wall. Unless it can wait a few weeks.