Saturday, February 2, 2008

Caught!

Tonight is Peasant Disco and a pre-party at VTL's place, so I went by the package store to pick up a six pack of the nice local IPA and who did I run into but the Horse and his wife, my mentor. I saw the Horse and, suave as usual, jumped about a foot in the air and tried to hide, but he'd seen me and he came over and said, "Philosophy is tough, you know? We're asking the big questions, and it doesn't always seem like there are answers, and then we turn to -" he gestured at my Dragonfly IPA - "medicine."

"You caught me," I managed after a long pause.

"Well," he said reasonably, "you caught us, too."

A very nice evening last night as well - after Tractatus group, I went with Mike to the GPSO happy hour at Nick's, where I made pleasant smalltalk with a cute, large-nosed Poli Sci major. I deserve major props for this, because I just went right up to him and used the classic line, "You look familiar - do I know you from somewhere?"

"I don't think so," said the boy.

"Well, you can meet me now. I'm Emily," I said, extending my hand.

I am pleased with myself for that.

After the GPSO thing I went for pizza with some of the other firstyears in the department - Sam, Scott, Josh, and Krista - which was really pleasant. We hung around Mother Bear's until almost eleven, at which point we went to a free showing of the Darjeeling Limited at the Union. It's no Royal Tennenbaums, of course, but I wasn't disappointed. Adrian Brody is lovely as always, and Jason Schwartzman was quite good, and visually it was spectacular, as Wes Anderson's movies always are. And there was even a little Angelica Houston, who always reminds me pleasantly of my mother.

So on the whole, good times fore and aft. I love it when things work out like this.

2 comments:

Lily said...

At a recent sleepover, we played the "worst pick-up line ever" game, and I am proud to say that I won with, (licks finger and rubs it on victim's shirt)"Let's get you out of these wet clothes."

Bill said...

You. Rock. Well done.