Friday, October 5, 2007

The Game of Good Cooking

(Which no one ever wanted to play with me as a kid. It was an actual board game, which I got as a prize in my sixth grade home economics class.)

My new version of the game is simple, though - for every use you find for an item, you get some points. So, for instance, this weekend, I roasted a chicken, which meant chicken sandwiches all week (5 points), plus I made broth with the bones (10 points) and the vegetable scraps I'd been saving in the freezer with that end in mind (10 points for planning ahead, plus another 10 points for making something instead of buying it). The broth was used to make lentil soup (5 points).

I was invited to the Spoon again last night, though I didn't go - apparently it's a standing invitation. This is ... nice, and I enjoy the music, and it's important to make friends, but must these friends talk so much about the Bible? I need to find a way to steer the conversation in a better direction. He does wear cufflinks, that's appealing. Maybe we can talk about that.

Tonight there's a Graduate and Professional Students Organization Happy Hour, so I'll probably go to that though I won't know anybody, and tomorrow Susan has invited a bunch of people to her house for a games night, which should be fun. So I've got a good weekend ahead of me.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Hmmm... just be suspicious should the cufflinks
disappear.

Andrea said...

http://www.blandings.org.uk/short/Algy.htm

Bill said...

I like to talk about the Bible, because the Devil can quote Scripture.

Greg said...

If you'd saved the bones, you could have made jewelery (5 points; 10 if you wear it) or a pretty, pretty sculpture (5 points; 10 if you included the neck).