Friday, October 26, 2007

Halloween Starts Now

Tonight is Luke's Scare-Fest (as we've been calling it) and, Girl Scout that I am, I am baking gingerbread. Probably beer would be more appreciated, but hey - I've been wanting to bake gingerbread for ages, ever since I saw that the Sahara Mart carries Lyle's Golden Syrup, which Laurie Colwin recommends. I didn't anticipate that her recipe would call for a whole jar of the stuff; it's basically light treacle, and treacle's a pain to work with, I tell you what. Everything gets sticky. I will confess - I really like treacle. On my way to China we had a layover in Heathrow (yes I know I flew to China backwards; don't ask) and I bought a packet of treacle, which was very hard to eat because it was basically one huge fused mass of sugar, but I would whack it against my desk to break bits off and it was very tasty. And then, Grandma, I would always brush my teeth (with antifreezy Chinese toothpaste).

Anyway. Laurie Colwin's damp gingerbread is baking in the oven right now and no doubt it will endear me to everybody at Luke's bonfire.

Last night I went with Cufflinks to the Runcible Spoon, as usual. I actually put on lipstick though, which is sort of a capitulation and which worries me. I'm not sure why an Evangelical Christian like Cufflinks would be interested in me, but the data seems to suggest that that's what's going on, and it makes me edgy.

The Decemberists make very good Halloween listening. Shankill Butchers is the scariest song ever.

Sadly, I do not have a costume for tonight, but I guess it's better to be without than to be the only person with one.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Has your mail come today? You may be surprised. Don't give up! You can surely invent a costume! You are very clever!

Lily said...

Is that song the horrifying one about the whale? (yeah, I know, real specific.)
happy hallowe'en! yours sounds better than mine will be; I'm too big of a loser to go trick-or-treating and I didn't get invited to any parties, so I'm going to dance class. It's open on Hallowe'en because Miss Lisa hates the holiday with a burning flaming passion, and every year Carly and Grace are the only ones who go. (Grace is too dedicated to skip out, and Carly is a Jehovah's Witness.) Now I shall join their ranks. Muahahahahahahaaaa! Evil dancers! spooky, no?

Bill said...

It seems to me that we have specific rules about both Evangelical Christians and members of the military. What the heck is going on here? Do you think I make up rules to be arbitrary? And even if you do, and even if it is true, you must admit that these rules are generally sound.