Sunday, November 4, 2007

Aging

The thing about getting your PhD is that it takes forever. I fully expect to be in graduate school until I am at least 27 or 28 years old. The Werewolf and Mr Clean (a Tractatus scholar) are in their eighth years right now. And although I may feel differently in six years or so when my biological clock starts ticking, at the moment, I am okay with the thought that I will be here for a while.

College is over in a heartbeat. People come and go very quickly and then you never really see them again. Grad school, on the other hand, is endless, and it's funny to think that the people I know now will be around for years. (Some longer than others, obviously.) I will go to their weddings. I will dandle their children on my knee. I will attend their dissertation defenses.

This also means that the age-range of my peers has increased dramatically. I now have friends who were born in the 70s. I have peers who are bald. I have friends who remember when Snuffleupagus was invisible. (Hey, Wikipedia reveals that Snuffy became visible on the day I was born! Keen!)

Assume I stay here. May as well. Then these people may well go to my wedding. They will see me with gray hair. In a few years there will be first-years who can't remember a time before the internet.

I'd better go moisturize.

3 comments:

Greg said...

It's not quite as bad as all that, although, yes, it does take a while to go all the way through, which is one of the reasons I stopped when I did (but not the main reason). Still, it's not like you're going to be a grandma on or around the time you finish. Just a little doddery.

Lily said...

if that's true, you're well on your way! jkjk
speaking of Snuffy, I was chatting with Tony the other day and he said that they made Snuffalufagus visible because when he was invisible, they thought that they were sending children the message that it you tell grown-ups something surprising, they will not believe you (so, for example, if you were molested you wouldn't tell an adult because they would think you were lying.) That never occurred to me, somehow.

Emily said...

Yeah, it's true. Around that time there were a lot of stories about child molestation in the news, which is what prompted the decision to make Snuffy visible. I thought that was interesting.