Friday, November 30, 2007

Just Stop

This morning for breakfast I had coffee with milk, fresh-baked bread with redcurrent jam, and a goat cheese omelette (made with a free-range egg, though not one from the farmers' market, which is on hiatus). Then I put on my snazzy new leather jacket and my headphones and listened to Blondie on my way to the office.

I am working on a paper about David Lewis's contextualist theory of knowledge for the Horse, and it is a slog. I banged on the keyboard for an hour or so and then went over to the math building to meet the cute but nonverbal mathematician for lunch.

I thought of a strategy to overcome shyness: pretend we are already friends. Just take it for granted that we will get along and be pals, and then act as if this has already happened. Why not? I do not have to worry about impressing these people; not to brag, but I have been asked out on so many dates since moving to Indiana that I am beginning to get the sense that I can write my own ticket. It is *their* job to impress *me.* So the mathematician and I went to a Korean buffet and I pretended we were already friends, and to some extent I think it went well, and beyond that extent I don't care, so there we go.

So many of my problems are problems for which the only solution is "Just stop that." I talk to myself, I pick at my fingers till they bleed, I bite my lips and grind my teeth, I fret about social interactions and blow them all out of proportion. You're right; the only solution is to just stop doing those things. A simple solution isn't always easy. I try to find tricks to make stopping easier. I wear gloves; I pretend that people already like me so I don't have to worry about making them. Sometimes these tricks work. Sometimes they don't. But I look pretty cute in gloves.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Indeed you do!

Lily said...

That's a good idea. I often find that it's difficult to talk to someone I want to like me unless I know them really well. (Make sense? Why no it does not!) If I don't really care what that person thinks of me, however, I feel like I can say whatever I want and then they usually run away, terrified.
I need better social skills.

Bill said...

One thing for sure, you are having nice things to eat.

Greg said...

You already are friends. It's like when you're waiting for spring, and the new leaves to unfurl. One day you notice it's happened and you wonder how you missed it, but now you get to enjoy it.