Friday, November 2, 2007

I am officially a middle-aged woman

Nothing else could possibly explain how excited I am about my new spice canisters. They're little aluminum canisters with clear lids, and they stick to the fridge! Pictures to follow!

Bed Bath and Beyond is truly a shrine to consumerism. Did you know there's such a thing as a "flavor injector"? You use it for shooting up your turkey with heroin flavor, I guess. Do you have any idea how many different kinds of spoon rests there are? I may have little magnetic canisters of tumeric and cloves, but at least I lay my dirty spoons on the cutting board (or sometimes, yes, the stovetop) like a normal person. Don't even get me started on trivets.

Also on my mall adventure I got a poster frame at Target. We now have art on our wall! I think the room looks nicer already. Irritatingly, my Klimt poster is a weird size and Target doesn't have frames to fit it. I guess I'm going to have to get it framed specially, which is annoying.

The Werewolf is giving a talk on Kierkegaard this afternoon, which I'm looking forward to - largely because the Werewolf has a very pleasant speaking voice and I've never heard him say more than ten words at a time before. There may be some subdued hijinks afterwards, which would be nice, although I'm a bit under the weather.

The Horse told me yesterday that he was thinking about whether I should use my real name when I start publishing, or whether I'd be better off with just initials. Apparently there's enough gender bias in philosophy that my girl-name might be a hindrance. Especially, he said, in fields like epistemology, logic, and metaphysics - "the hard stuff," as he put it. Maybe I should go with Ellis.

I just found out that a second X-Files movie is coming out this summer, which is way exciting. Not that I'm going to get my hopes up or anything, since the last season was pretty awful, but David Duchovny is at least going to be in it, so right away that's a start.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

'E.G.' seem fitting initials. Meanwhile, fold the edges of the Klimt - it's a poster, not art.

Duchovny's latest show is awful. He smarms around more smarmy than I can endure.