Friday, April 25, 2008

Baby, take my hand.

Tonight is the department's end-of-year bash at our chair's house. I remember the beginning-of-year bash at this same professor's house back in September - sitting on the porch with a bunch of people I didn't really know yet. Now I know some of them a bit better. One of them is my beau. One has shared an apartment with me for eight months. I've had drinks with them, and classes, and conversations.

I'm listening to "Don't Fear the Reaper," which I would say is the Official Song of my first year of graduate school. We listened to it around the campfire at Luke's Halloween party and my sisters and I twisted to it on Christmas night while cleaning up after the party.

A lot of the time I wish I could either up and leave this place or hit reset and try this year again, because in some ways (mainly socially) I kind of messed everything up. I made some bad decisions and I made some changes a bit too late. But neither of those is really an option (especially the latter) and anyway, the lilacs are in bloom, and it's hard to hate someplace that smells so darn good.

2 comments:

Bill said...

It doesn't seem as though you messed anything up. You come out of the year with some new friends, and a beau, and an Official Song-- that's usually a pretty good year for anyone.

TCA said...

It's the honeysuckle that's enhancing the breezes here right now but it's also a great reminder that life is good.