Monday, April 7, 2008

A cherished dream realized

Yesterday was pretty much the perfect Sunday in April - it was in the 60s, the daffodils and crocuses were in full bloom, and Cufflinks had invited me to a picnic given by one of his colleagues, who are all very nice, and whom I mostly know at this point, which is great - I love philosophers, but it's very pleasant to meet people from our evil twin department History and Philosophy of Science.

The picnic was held in a park by the hospital. Cufflinks had brought some chicken marinated in barbecue sauce for us, which was really good, and one of his colleagues had brought vegan cupcakes and grilled asparagus for everyone, too. The best part was that Nick, an Australian, had brought a cricket bat and wicket, and after we ate he showed us how to play.

I've wanted to play cricket ever since I became a P.G. Wodehouse fan, and this was a dream come true for me even though I was unsurprisingly very bad at it. (Cufflinks, who takes baseball rather seriously, was pretty good, which was pleasing to watch.) It's actually not a terribly exciting game, at least not at the level we were playing, and not if you're in the field instead of batting. But it was cricket and it was lovely to just be outside with friendly people (and a friendly, eager to help dog) playing a game.

I can hardly wait for summer, but I'm certainly digging spring.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I say, sounds positively ripping! Did you play with a ball or adopt the Drones' preference of dinner rolls? Hmm...that would account for the dog's enthusiasm. Anyway, you should plan a follow up party of croquet. The equipment is cheap and easy to find and, as you know, the game is a lot of fun. Also badminton.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Greg said...

I guess a game of Australian Rules would have been less picnic-y.