Saturday, April 19, 2008

Wine

In other news, I am completely incapable of opening a bottle of wine. Last time I tried (I needed a bit of red wine for Laurie Colwin's beef stew recipe, which was disappointing, but did you know they sell $3 bottles of wine nowadays? Crazy) I actually broke our good bottle opener. Tonight when I tried to open the wine for the risotto I found I simply do not know how to use a corkscrew. Krista tried to help me - one of us would hold the bottle and the other would pull - but to no avail. I eventually managed to shove the broken cork down into the bottle, allowing me to pour the wine out, with bits of cork floating in it that did little to mitigate the awesome deliciousness of my risotto. But a better solution will have to be found.

4 comments:

Lily said...

don't pull- ease the cork out by giving it gentle nudges. That's what I do.

Andrea said...

Descartes is sitting in a bar, having a drink. The bartender asks him if he would like another. "I think not," he says and vanishes in a puff of logic.

There are also some very nice wines in bottles with screw caps.

Bill said...

There are more patents for corkscrews on file at the US patent office than for any other type of device-- at least that's what I am told. It sounds to me as though you don't have the right kind, which is pretty common. A practiced hand can operate just about any corkscrew with almost all corks, but that sort of dexterity takes years, and many bottles. It's worth it, though.

Greg said...

Bah, the waiter's friend is all you need: it's got a lever.